Friday, July 24, 2009

An Ann Arbor Porch Moment

The other day I was sitting on my porch with a couple friends, taking in the evening, when the discussion turned to education. I started answering questions, explaining issues and theories, and listening to my friend's opinions. We hit one of those silent moments, when everyone finds themselves thinking and staring across the street at the same time. Then, Mary said, "Meghan, you got schooled!"

These past six weeks have gone so quickly. I didn't fully understand how much we had learned until that moment. I was able to intelligently discuss my future field. What most surprised me was that I actually did use terms from the taxonomy table. It is kind of hard to describe the aim to create critical thinkers without explaining what critical thinking is and how one arrives at that point. I know that the terms are sometimes hard to differentiate, but there does seem to be applicable purpose. At the same time, I just finished a chapter by Jonathan Kozol, in Letters to a Young Teacher, which criticized those terms to no end. So, I have been schooled, but know I still have a long, long way to go in fully understanding the complexities of educational issues. Can't wait for part two of SMAC!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meghan: And we thought it was all a blur w/ minimal retention occurring. Phase I gone, but definitely an eye opener. It is the reflective and social moments that bring us to the reality of what our "profession" is to be. Enjoy more moments on your porch. I love the expression "you are schooled". Very hip!!! Susan R.

    ReplyDelete